Remember this? Back in February 2014 Nokia revealed its Nokia X, X+ and XL, budget Android phones (starting at just 89€) that it said were intended for ‘growth markets’.
Fast-forward to 2018 and the Nokia X is about to make a comeback, with a launch confirmed for 27 April.
Nokia X release date: When is the new Nokia X coming out?
A launch event will take place in China on 27 April, though there has been no word from UK PRs to suggest the phone will also launch over here.
It would not be a surprise to see HMD Global announce the Nokia X first in China, as it has done with several of its smartphones over the past year, including the original Nokia 6.
News of the launch event has not come from Nokia or HMD Global itself, but through digital adverts displayed at cinemas in China. It seems like it would be a lot of effort to fake such a thing, so we’re going to presume they’re legit.
Nokia X (2018) specification rumours
Very little is known about the phone that will be announced on 27 April, though many spectators are pointing to a mid-range Android phone – T3 is even reporting that the Nokia X is gunning for the iPhone X’s crown.
We’re not convinced that this will be the case, given that the original Nokia X was a budget smartphone. We’d also expect to have heard a lot more about it this close to launch if it were a flagship, suggesting it is neither the rumoured Nokia 9 nor Nokia 10.
Though it’s now four years old, it’s interesting to look at the original Nokia X spec to see what changes – a 4in WVGA display, 3Mp camera and 1500mAh battery seem crazy by today’s standards:
- 4in WVGA (800×480, 233ppi, 15:9) IPS LCD with two-point capacitive touchscreen
- TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
- Micro SIM Dual-Standby
- Charging connectors: Micro-USB
- AV connectors: 3.5 mm audio connector
- System connectors: Micro-USB-B
- USB: USB 2.0
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 3.0 + HS
- Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- WCDMA; GSM
- 1500mAh battery
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4, dual-core 1GHz processor
- RAM: 512 MB
- 4GB storage
- Expandable memory card type: MicroSD
- Maximum memory card size: 32GB
- Main camera sensor: 3Mp
- Camera resolution: 2048 x 1536 pixels
- Camera digital zoom: 4x
- Sensor size: 1/5inch
- Audio playback file formats: MP4, AAC, MP3, MIDI
- Stereo FM radio
- Camera video resolution: FWVGA (864×480)
- Camera video frame rate: 30fps
- Camera video zoom: 4x
- Video playback codecs: H.263, H.264/AVC, MPEG-
- Video playback file formats: 3GP, MP4
This being a Nokia, we’d expect a decent build quality that includes a metal frame, and the pure Android experience with regular security updates.
Read next: Best new phones coming in 2018